I’ve been having a great time playing the indie game Revenge of the Titans by Puppy Games. Revenge of the Titans is a lot of fun, but it can be quite difficult to advance if you don’t know what you’re doing. For example, you can’t learn what benefits the technology advancements offer until you’ve researched them. This guarantees you won’t research the right areas until you’ve played through the game at least once.
I was unable to find any sort of walkthrough, tutorial or howto on the game, so I thought I’d write my own for other beginners.
To spare those who don’t like spoilers, I’ll start with general user-interface tips and tricks. I’ll warn you before getting into the real secrets!
Disclaimer: this was written towards the end of beta testing (v1.6). The final release has changed a bit, but most tips will still improve your efficiency and survival rate ;)
Navigation and User Interface
I use a DVORAK layout on my Kinesis keyboard, so set-in-stone shortcuts tend to be a problem for me. Nevertheless, there are a few I’ve found very handy – you may end up using more of them than I have.
- Left-click and drag to perform repeated actions. This works for constructing new buildings, collecting credits from refineries, reloading turrets and picking up drops.
- Right-click is used for several purposes, and is one of the most useful tricks to know in the heat of battle:
– If you are in normal mode, right-clicking over an existing building will switch to building mode.
– If you are in building mode, right-clicking will return to normal mode.
– If you are in sell mode, right-clicking will return to normal mode.
- Delete activates sell mode (you’ll get 50% of your credits back). Right-click to cancel.
- q scrolls back to your home base (headQuarters). Since most of your refineries are usually in that area, it works great for zipping back to collect money before returning to the battle.
- e scrolls to a refinery that needs to be collected (if any).
- r scrolls to a turret that needs to be reloaded (if any).
- 1 switches to building refineries. Gameplay starts as soon as a refinery is built, so it’s helpful to be very efficient when building them.
- 2 switches to building reactors.
- 3 switches to building silos.
- 4 switches to building automated collectors.
Sample Offensive Structures
You’ll want to be as efficient as possible – managing funds is important for success. This means reducing the number of buildings you construct and mining all the ore from each level. Build your refineries in rows, when possible, so you can quickly drag your mouse down the line to collect from them all.
I like a condensed, strong offense, so levels that require many weapons installations tend to annoy me. Select sections of the map that work in your favor – use the landscape to control the path of the titans and force them towards your turrets. If you plan carefully, you can use a single offensive installation on many of the levels. Sometimes this means the turrets are surrounding your headquarters. Other times, the turrets may be some distance from headquarters. There was even a level in which I successfully surrounded all the spawn points with turrets.
Turret upgrades have a limited range, so keep them close to the turrets. You’ll spend less if you build the most expensive upgrades right next to your bunch of turrets. That way, any redundant upgrades you build will cost less. Keep in mind that turret upgrades only stack for up to 4 upgrades (e.g. a turret can’t use more than 4 batteries). Plan ahead for the path the titans are likely to take. Hover over each turret to ensure that their firing range covers the path of the titans.
** SPOILERS AHEAD **** You can stop reading now. **
Use as many of your credits as you can to research new technologies and weapons. If you work efficiently, you’ll stay ahead of the Titans and have a lot more fun. Many of the best weapons and upgrades are buried in the technology tree, so you’ll have to work towards them. Below is a rough ordering that I find to work well. Some of the pure technology research will not give you any immediate benefit, but will unlock new buildings. I’ve listed a few below which do give an important improvement. Note that not all technologies are listed here – you’ll have to discover the rest yourself!
That’s it – go kill hoards of Titans! Don’t waste too many credits on unnecessary buildings and make sure you refine all the ore on every level. There are new surprises and new graphics on every planet.
And don’t forget to support these excellent indie developers by purchasing a copy of Revenge of the Titans!!